Search This Blog

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Canada's Rising Caesarean Section Rate

 A brilliant article that comes clean about Canada's rising Caesarean Section rates.  It doesn't white wash the statistics, it doesn't hide the TRUTH:  Caesarean sections cause more Caesarean sections!!!  And every medical intervention in labour and delivery causes an increased risk of "having to have" a C/Section. 

While the Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of Canadais finally realizing that the soaring rates of medical interventions- such as inductions, epidurals, and C/Sections- are having a detrimental effect of the health of our women and children, they have yet to address the worst problem:

The Doctors and the Hospitals themselves.

 The Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of Canada has made comments that the C/Section rate is too high, that inductions shouldn't be done so often, that Vaginal  breech births are healthier than C/section deliveries, and that VBAC births should be encouraged.... but that's all just whistling in the wind if the doctors and hospitals are adamantly turning their backs with their fingers in their ears singing "Lalalalalalala..."

It's all very wonderful that they are making these recommendations and statements, but that's not helping the mothers who are out there searching for a birthing attendant who will allow them to have a VBAC or to deliver their breech baby naturally/vaginally. 

And don't just blame the doctors- finding a supportive midwife can be equally difficult.  When I was pregnant with my second child back in 2002, I had three different Toronto midwifery groups turn me down point blank because I had had a previous Caesarean section.  The fact that it happened 10 years previously didn't matter even slightly.  When I was pregnant with my 4th child- having had 2 C/S's and one natural  HBAC (homebirth after C/S)- I had to search for MONTHS and had to beg and cajole to find a midwife to support my wishes to have another HBAC birth.  ...and my 5th child? after THREE Caesarean sections?!?  I was SHOCKED to hell and back when one lone midwifery group in a 100 km radius actually accepted me as a client.  But even then, while they took me on, they did so with a lot of trepidation and scepticism.

If I hadn't been so damn stubborn, (and knowledgable), I probably would of given up on trying to have a vaginal birth years ago and would now be sporting 5 uterine scars.

NOT a Healthy situation.

So yet again, as with just about everything worth having in life, we need to fight to achieve and support our Rights.  If women do not demand that hospitals/doctors/midwives accept their wishes to have a VBAC birth, then change will not happen, no matter how many "recommendations" the Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of Canada wants to make.


Worries surround Canada's rising C-section rate