Search This Blog

Monday, September 13, 2010

Old Nave promotes Infant Formula

Yep, just take a look at this onesie- if this isn't flagrant advertising and promoting infant formula, I don't know what is!!!!!

I wrote the following email to Old Navy to express my extreme displeasure with them and this shirt.... maybe a few of you would like to follow suit?  This is the only email address I could find, or you can call them at: Call 1-800-OLD-NAVY (1-800-653-6289). or Old Navy  (outside the states) 1-614-744-3908

custserv@oldnavy.com

I would like to express my anger and outrage at GAP/Old Navy for marketing this product:  http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=37508&vid=1&pid=771696&scid=771696002

Every Government Health Organization in every country of the world and the World Health Organizaiton (WHO)  states that babies should be breastfed exclusively for the first 6 months, and that breastfeeding should continue till two years of age and beyond.  In North America we are struggling to make mothers realize that they need to breastfeed their babies.  This is because we have lived for several generations in the era of Formula Feeding, where infant formula companies have been given free reign to market their products with false advertising that has pulled parents away from breastfeeding. The WHO International Code of Marketing Breastmilk Substitutes was put into place to try to protect the rights of infants to be fed naturally.  The "Code" denounces any marketing of infant formula- including pictures or ads that show baby bottles.  I can not believe that GAP/Old Navy would slam the WHO Code by marketing infant formula use on an infant Onesie!! Not to mention the scientific fact that Infant formula has been proved to greatly increase the risks of SIDs,higher rates of childhood cancers,  diabetes, obesity, ear infections, and lower IQ's. Would you  like to explain to me just how "powerful" is that?  This onsie is absolutely appalling!  I have reported this page to INFACT Canada, IBFAN(US), Baby Milk Action(UK).

But more importantly to you and your financial outlook: I will be taking my business else where- I will not promote or pay into a company that blantantly markets infant formula in this way.  I will also be telling the hundreds of Breastfeeding Activists that I'm associated with about this product.