Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"Got Milk?"

A friend posted an article by this wonderful mother and I had to pass it along. It comes in 3 parts, and the second part is written by her husband about a fathers perspective on breastfeeding.  AWESOME!!!!!


Got Milk?  Part 1:  What does a  new mama need to know

A few months ago I was doing henna at India Restaurant and had the most pleasant conversation whilst doing henna on the belly of a pregnant woman.  She was 39 weeks along with her first baby, and was very excited to share that she was planning to clothdiaper and breastfeed.  We got on so well she asked to exchange numbers- thinking we could get together sometime in the future.
A week later she called me.  She was upset.  Her baby wasn’t eating “enough” on schedule or gaining “enough” according to her doctor- who was giving her the classic breastfeeding sabotage information.  Her mother was telling her to supplement- and had actually gone to the store to buy formula for the baby.  I did my best- gave her every scrap of information I could fit into the conversation before she had to go.  I never heard from her again.  I really hope she managed to hold out and go on to a successful nursing relationship with her baby.
If she is now formula feeding it is NOT her fault and I do not think less of her.  At one point even the most experienced and knowledgeable of us mothers was once a first time mom.  Scared and nervous and susceptible to the opinions of others- especially those in the medical profession.  It could have easily happened to me.  I was seventeen, in high school, on my own, and if my doctor or my mother had been vehemently against breastfeeding I would have listened to them and stopped.  I had no idea what I was doing.   I didn’t have any confidence in my choices as a parent.  I only lasted as long as I did (11 months) because I was left alone and did what worked for me.  Although, the flip side of that is -I would have maybe nursed for another year if there had been anyone around to give me GOOD advice and support. ...

When I first met my wife, her boobs were mine.
She wore special bras to make them look a certain way…….for me.
She would wear lacy things on them to make them a sultry sight……..for me
When she took them out she was taking them out……for me.
Then came the children.
At that time both of our roles changed, as well they should.
We were still awake at 4am- but instead of a post Karaoke and beer gathering at Der Waffle House, it was tip toeing away from a (please lord this time) lightly dozing bundle of noise.  Our job as parents above all else is to provide the best start in life to our little adults to be.  If you do not want to have this responsibility perhaps you should double up on your contraception.
To this end it seems obvious to me (and to any reasonable mind) that the best food for baby comes from its mother.
Let’s review that one more time………….the best vitamin laced, anti-body rich, brain-growing-fat-having, pre heated, sterile, portable nummy goodness comes from the MOTHER.
For those of you that have a religious outlook on life………..if you believe in a creator (doesn’t matter what name you give them) do you really think that having created us in their image and oh by the way witnessing a few thousand millennia of successful child rearing, they suddenly turned around circa 1950 and pronounced….holy crap……..that whole mother’s milk thing was a mistake…………what to do??………..wait, wait, got it!…..Dear Nestle please make some petrified dehydrated powdery stuff in a distant factory, get some doctors on board and sell sell sell. There, that ought to fix the problem. ...
Got Milk? Part 3:  Why Breastfeeding fails


1. Drugs.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8231144.stm
“Drugs commonly used to treat bleeding after birth may hamper a woman’s ability to breastfeed her baby, research suggests.
The study, which appears in the journal BJOG, suggests the drugs may impede milk production. The Swansea University team also confirmed high doses of painkilling drugs have a similar effect. The findings may help to explain the limited success of efforts to increase breastfeeding rates in the UK.”
This is not new news, Michel Odent has been saying this for 30 years, but it hasn’t been taken seriously, and still isn’t now. I did have a synto injection after I had Milly, and bled out 850mls. When I had Phoebe I opted for a physiological third stage (no synto injection to expel the placenta), including not clamping and cutting the cord until it had stopped pulsing, and I hardly bled at all. I know this is anecdotal, but the reasoning works this way; when the cord is left to stop pulsing before it is clamped and cut, not only does the baby get it’s full quota of blood [about 250mls/half a pint is in the placenta & cord] but the placenta drains, which may make it detach better, resulting in less bleeding.
Opiates (pethidine etc) and all pain relief, even epidurals and gas and air cross the placenta and effect the baby.
http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/choice.html
“The labour pain-reducing drug, pethidine, also interferes with this tentative, yet alert, exploratory behaviour by the infant. A newborn whose mother has received pethidine during labour can be dopey, unresponsive and disinterested in the breast.
Studies have shown that newborns exposed to pethidine have poor arousability for up to three hours after delivery. Poor arousability means there is slowness in the central nervous system and delayed and depressed rooting behaviour and suckling. The effects of pethidine can last for a long time – the elimination half-life of pethidine in a newborn is about 22 hours, compared with three hours in a mother.”
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/the-truth-about–pethidine-1270958.html
....

2. Separation.
Skin-to-Skin is important, washing, swaddling, dressing and testing done away from the mother all inhibit reactions and instinct. Left alone a baby will instinctively root and suckle.
Breast Crawl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjDQN9keKQk
http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVDecJan03p123.html
“When the mother and midwife tried to help him latch on, he closed his mouth firmly and arched his back, pulling his head away from the breast.
When I went to visit this mother at her home, I could see that the repeated attempts to latch the baby on were making him feel increasingly unhappy about being held in the nursing position. As soon as he was held on his side and moved close to the breast, he started to fuss and push away. I suggested to the mother that she just concentrate for a little while on helping the baby feel relaxed and comfortable at the breast—just letting him lie there, close to the breast, without any pressure to latch on or feed.
She called me back several hours later, very excited, with wonderful news. She had been lying on her back, dozing, with her naked baby lying on his stomach on her bare abdomen just below her breasts. She noticed the baby beginning to squirm and wriggle and then, to her surprise, he pushed himself up to her breasts, his little head bobbing as he searched for the nipple. Then he latched on and suckled away. After several minutes of vigorous sucking, he let go and rested. She then gently moved him toward the other breast, and to her delight he repeated the process, latching on beautifully all by himself once again.”....

VISIT the "Tales of a Kitchen Witch" site HERE